This fun activity was created by my friend Caroline.
Instead of ‘fortune cookies’, she made ‘encouragement cookies’ simply by writing out blessings on slips of paper then put them inside home-made fortune cookies.
Warning: the folding bit is rather hot, so be careful!
What sort of blessings you write will depending on who you are going to give these to:
- If you are going to make them as a gift to give to someone, you could write six very specific blessings to them
- If you are going to eat them in your family, your blessings need to be ones which could work for anyone in your family
- If you are going to give them to another family or a group of people, you need to use more general blessings.
This last one isn’t as hard as it seems, as you can either
- write words from the Bible which are spoken to lots of people, such as: Do not be afraid, God is with you.
- write your own words taken from your reading of the Bible, such as: You are loved, You are a light.
- write words of encouragement such as: You make the world a better place, You are special and unique, You are important, You matter, Your contribution is important.
The recipe to use for the cookies is here.
I usually pray when doing things like this, asking God to get the right message to the right person. And I find that often people receive something which is ‘just what they need’, which is wonderful!
Here are the encouragements Caroline used:
*This biscuit is a hug in disguise
*Creativity is intelligence having fun
*You’re not just nice you take the biscuit
*Not everyone can be as nice as you, it’s just the way the cookie crumbles
*Hey sweetie, make someone’s day!
* This biscuit is nearly as sweet as you
*Have faith, you are capable of doing great things
*If Plan A goes wrong you have 25 letters left
* You can’t make everyone happy, you’re not Nutella
*God has a plan for you, ask him what it is
*Go after courage, it suits you
*Love grows bigger when you give it away
*Hope grows brighter as you dwell on it
*Made you smile!