I’m a strong believer in the uniqueness of every family, and that you need to find things which work for your family in the the season you’re currently in.
However, that doesn’t mean you need hundreds of ideas, so I’ve made a a list of suggestions for you to choose the BEST idea for your family from depending on what sort of thing your family is into, what will be easy and fun for you.
My ideas is that you glance down the list, pick the sort of thing which will appeal to you and your family (it should be fun for you too!) and pick one activity to try.
Is your family into…
- music? Why not try some family worship – here’s ten ideas to choose from
- being outdoors? You could try doing a Bible story in a tent, growing an outdoor picture treasure hunt, or perhaps Bubbles Blessings and it’s still not too late to plant some seeds for seed prayers!
- reading books? Dig out some family favourites or try something new. Here’s some reviews I’ve done of recent books I’ve found. Or you could try doing a looong Bible story
- daily rituals? Try doing Thanks Doodles or using a Thanks Jar, Lectio 365 or try a simple Sabbath ritual
- drawing? Try putting out a selection of art materials and have fun using them in an open-ended response time, make some mini-books or if you’re near the beach, try some Sand Art Response
- tactile / kinesthetic / physical activities? You could experiment with Twister Prayers, Sand Sorry prayers, Bible story Treasure Hunt or try out our Say it, Smash it way of learning a Bible verse together!
- chat? These dice give you lots of great questions to get chatting about the Bible, while the Parenting for Faith Facebook page has a new question every week
- food? I love food, so these work well for us: Fruity Prayers, Sweets Prayer, tell Bible stories with Bread sticks with eyes or get hold of this book: Bake through the Bible (I wrote a full article about faith at home and food!)
- small character toys? Try playing a Bible story with toys such as Play Mobil or create Bible scenes in Lego like this nativity one
- none of the above or really not sure? Try and Invitation to Play and watch to see what people choose